Holding Nursing Homes Accountable for Their Residents’ Safety
Experienced nursing home abuse attorneys in Kentucky and Ohio
Nursing homes must maintain a certain standard of care for their patients. This includes providing a safe environment for their residents as well as their employees. When nursing home staff and administrators fail to keep the institution safe, the risk of their patients sustaining a serious injury increases.
At Crandall & Pera Law, our team of attorneys and registered nurses understands what it takes to keep nursing home residents safe. We have successfully helped clients and their families throughout Kentucky and Ohio. Our team maintains open communication with clients about their case, and provides options and recommendations regarding how families may proceed.
What is an unsafe environment?
Nursing homes must do more than care for the health of their residents; they must ensure that the nursing home itself is safe and secure. Crandall & Pera Law handles complex nursing home neglect cases where residents have been injured because:
- Wet floors have not been labeled and the residents have slipped and fallen
- Light bulbs are not replaced, making corridors and rooms unsafe
- Dangerous handrails have not been replaced with safer models
- Defective or malfunctioning medical equipped is neither fixed nor replaced with safer and sometimes newer models
- The placement of furniture makes rooms inaccessible to residents using walkers or wheelchairs
- Negligent security measures exist such as unlocked doors, unsafe windows and broken or defective smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and burglar alarms
- Meal preparation areas are unsanitary
- The facility is understaffed to meet the needs of all residents
Understaffing is a serious problem in nursing homes. This can lead to employees becoming angry, frustrated or impatient – all warning signs of pending verbal or physical abuse. Understaffed nursing homes also have a greater number of medication errors, residents with bedsores and residents who have been malnourished or dehydrated.
Crandall & Pera Law understands that there are many aspects to operating a nursing home, and that administrators must be aware of what is happening in their institution at all times. Our lawyers have many years of combined experience helping victims seek justice. We are able to visit our clients and their families in nursing homes throughout Kentucky and Ohio.
You deserve to feel safe when you live in a nursing home
Crandall & Pera Law represents the elderly and their families when an injury results from the substandard operation of a long term care facility. If you believe your family member is in an unsafe environment, we want to help. Please call 877-686-8879 or fill out this convenient online contact form to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys.