The Causes And Risks Of Medication Errors In Nursing Homes
Elderly residents in nursing homes may be on multiple medications. With so many residents and so many drugs, the chances of a staff member making a medication error increase. Sometimes these errors have long-term, permanent and even fatal consequences.
Crandall & Pera Law represents residents in Ohio and Kentucky nursing homes who have been harmed due to a medication error. Our team of experienced medical malpractice attorneys and registered nurses understands the causes and potentially severe consequences of medication errors.
Types Of Medication Errors In Nursing Homes
Medication errors could be the result of negligence on behalf of the staff or mistakes made by the doctor or pharmacist, or could be an act of abuse. Crandall & Pera Law handles complex medication error cases, including:
- Overdosing or underdosing a resident
- Withholding medication as a form of punishment
- Using medication to chemically restrain a resident
- Administering drugs incorrectly
- Failing to provide food or water when a medication needs to be taken with a meal or a drink
- Giving residents expired medications
- Failing to read residents’ medical histories before prescribing drugs
- Lab errors
- Pharmaceutical errors
- Failing to keep medical records up to date
- Stealing medication from residents for personal use or to give to a different resident
Some of the cases Crandall & Pera Law handles can be construed as medical malpractice as well as nursing home abuse and neglect. Our team will build a case strategy that includes all available claims arising from a medication error.
Signs Of Medication Errors
If you suspect your family member is being mistreated, it is important to speak to an attorney with experience in nursing home abuse lawsuits. Some of the signs of medication errors may include:
- Increased or decreased heart rate and blood pressure
- Failure to get well after taking medications for infections or viruses
- Organ failure
- Withdrawal symptoms
Medication errors can lead to the death of your loved one, so it is crucial that victims seek help. We understand the potentially severe consequences if a nursing home resident is not given the medication he or she needs in the way that he or she needs it. We investigate our clients’ claims efficiently and with great care.
You Are Not Powerless When It Comes To Medication Errors
Medication errors are serious, and some are potentially life-threatening. Crandall & Pera Law helps families and their loved ones in the event of a medication error. To schedule a no-obligation consultation in Ohio or Kentucky, please call 855-444-6651 or fill out this convenient online contact form. We are able to visit our clients and their families in nursing homes.