Is Your Family Member Being Verbally Abused At The Nursing Home?
One of the more common types of abuse at nursing homes is verbal abuse. Because it does not leave visible marks, however, it may be difficult to determine if your family member is being verbally abused.
Crandall & Pera Law helps represent the rights of elderly nursing home residents throughout Ohio and Kentucky. Our team of medical malpractice attorneys and registered nurses is aware of the signs of abuse and neglect and can provide you and your family with options.
Types Of Verbal Abuse
Verbal abuse goes beyond yelling at nursing home residents. Your family member may be verbally abused if a staff member or other resident:
- Threatens him or her with physical harm or punishments
- Makes sexual advances toward the resident
- Uses excessive profanity or critical language
- Calls a resident names
- Uses intimidating language to foster a climate of fear
- Degrades a resident verbally in front of other residents or staff members
- Trivializes a resident’s concerns or needs
- Makes unfounded accusations against the resident or blames a resident for a problem unrelated to that resident
Verbal abuse can be as psychologically damaging as physical abuse or neglect. If it is allowed to continue, your family member could suffer long-term psychological damage. Your family member may become depressed, stop speaking or start avoiding social situations. You may also notice an increased lethargy or skittishness when you visit.
Crandall & Pera Law investigates all claims of verbal abuse and harassment, including accusations of cyberbullying by other residents and staff members. Our team has experience helping families in Ohio and Kentucky. If you suspect your family member is being verbally abused, you should speak with an attorney quickly. Though there are exceptions, the statutes of limitations for nursing home abuse cases are generally as follows:
- Ohio and Kentucky: One year from the date the injury was discovered, or reasonably should have been discovered.
Let Us Help
Crandall & Pera Law treats clients with respect and dignity. We have helped clients and their elderly family members in nursing homes throughout Ohio and Kentucky.
If you believe your family member is being verbally abused, please call 855-444-6651 or fill out this convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation with one of our compassionate attorneys.