Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Attorneys in Kentucky
The elderly have rights. We help when those rights have been violated.
It can be difficult for nursing home residents to defend themselves against abuse or stand up for their rights, and their suffering can take many forms. At Crandall & Pera Law, our Kentucky nursing home negligence attorneys review the circumstances of the situation to determine if you can seek justice for your loved one. As trial lawyers experienced with cases of nursing home abuse and neglect in Louisville, Lexington, and throughout the state, we are here to represent the rights of the elderly in the courts of Kentucky. Our attorneys are able to visit you and your families in nursing homes for your convenience.
Your nursing home abuse or neglect claim
In most states, a plaintiff must prove that it was the duty of the defendant in treating/caring for the plaintiff to exercise the degree of care and skill expected of a reasonably competent nursing home, acting under like or similar circumstances. The plaintiff must also prove that the defendant failed to comply with this duty and that such failure was a substantial factor in causing the plaintiff’s injuries.
Examples of nursing home abuse and neglect in Kentucky include:
- Neglect: The failure to provide appropriate care and medical treatment, such as the failure to clothe, feed, bathe, or provide the necessary medicines. Patients who are being neglected may have clogged breathing tubes or full bedpans and colostomy bags, and their bedrooms and living spaces may be unsafe or dirty. Abandonment and extended periods of isolation also constitute forms of neglect.
- Physical Abuse: The purposeful act of using force against an elderly person causing pain, impairment, or injury. Such abuse may include physical assaults or the inappropriate use of drugs, restraints, or confinement.
- Emotional Abuse: The treatment or verbal abuse of an elderly person causing emotional pain and damage. Such abuse may include intimidation, isolation, humiliation, and/or ridicule.
- Financial Abuse: The illegal use of an elderly person’s assets through theft, fraud, and/or coercion.
- Sexual Abuse: Forcing an elderly person to participate in physical sexual activity or exposing them to unwanted sexual materials.
Potential signs of nursing home abuse or neglect
If your loved one is being abused or neglected at a nursing home, you may notice:
- Unexplained injuries, including cuts, bruises, burns and broken bones
- Changes in behavior
- Physical or emotional withdrawal
- Weight change/malnutrition
- Poor hygiene
- Unexplained hair loss
- Unexplained bleeding
- Missing items
- Out-of-the-ordinary financial transactions
- Unexplained death
Neglectful nursing home workers and medical professionals may not give patients the appropriate care for their current conditions. This can lead to serious infections including sepsis, or to changes in your family member’s mental status. Many families claim their loved ones have taken to wandering or are showing signs of dementia or sluggishness; this could be a result of medication errors or abuse. Crandall & Pera Law’s team of medical malpractice attorneys and registered nurses examines cases of suspected nursing home abuse and neglect and offers counsel regarding your options.
Handling abuse and neglect cases throughout Kentucky
There are hundreds of nursing home and assisted living facilities throughout our state. The Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting’s 2014 review found that at least a third of these facilities scored only 1 or 2 stars (out of 5), and that 190 of them had incidences of patients being in “immediate jeopardy.” Our team of attorneys is equipped to represent residents and the family of residents facing dangers at facilities such as:
- Bluegrass Assisted Living
- Brownsboro Hills Health Care and Rehabilitation Center
- Edmonson Center
- Elizabethtown Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Diversicare of Nicholasville
- Golden Living Center
- Providence Homestead
- Springhurst Health and Rehabilitation
- Sunrise Manor Nursing Home
No matter which facility you or your family member reside in, we are prepared to help. You can trust that our skills, experience and resources will be firmly on your side.
Contact us if you believe your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect
The Kentucky nursing home neglect lawyers at Crandall & Pera Law serve clients in Lexington, Louisville and throughout the state. If you believe that you or a loved one has been injured as a result of nursing home abuse or nursing home neglect, please call us at 877-686-8879 or contact us online for a free initial consultation.
Types of Cases We Handle
Compassionate representation for victims of personal injury, including:
|Medical Malpractice||Birth Injuries|
|Wrongful Death||Catastrophic Personal Injury|
|Construction Accidents||Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect|
|Commercial Trucking Accidents||Vaccine Injuries|