Helping Families Whose Children Have Suffered Birth Injuries
Looking Out For Ohio Victims Of Labor And Delivery Malpractice
The birth of a baby should be the happiest moment in a parent’s life, but events that occur during labor or in the delivery room can quickly turn happiness to sorrow. Nature sometimes plays the major role in birthing problems, but medical incompetence is often to blame – and the impact can be devastating. Remember, whichever hospital you choose and whoever the medical professionals are, you deserve reasonable levels of care during labor, and before and after delivery. Anything less is unacceptable.
At Crandall & Pera Law, we have seen firsthand the results of medical malpractice during childbirth: children with lifelong disabilities, mothers incapable of future pregnancies, life-threatening infections, and even death. And we have helped families throughout Ohio after such unexpected, tragic outcomes.
While in labor, what are things to watch out for? – EFM
The Consequences Of Medical Negligence
Negligence by a medical professional during labor or birth can cause injuries ranging from infection, to brain damage, to death of both the mother and the baby. The more common types of negligence involve failure to evaluate and treat maternal health problems before childbirth, substandard performance of delivery procedures, and failure to respond timely to maternal or fetal complications when they arise. For example:
- If an inaccurate or incomplete medical history, or a slipshod physical examination causes delivery room staff to overlook serious maternal infections such as HIV or Group B Strep, or results in an anesthesiologist administering the wrong anesthetic;
- If inadequate monitoring of the fetus for signs of distress results in fetal brain damage, severe, permanent disability or death;
- If negligent or untimely performance of a C-section results in fetal and/or maternal injury or death;
- If excessive force during delivery causes the fetus to sustain a disabling brachial plexus injury;
- If misuse of instruments such as an obstetrical forceps or a vacuum extractor causes fetal skull fracture and brain trauma;
- If incorrect Pitocin induction causes damaging contractions
You may be able to receive compensation for your injuries or your baby’s, to cover the cost of additional medical treatment, physical therapy, special education, and for pain and suffering, and other expenses.
The Crandall & Pera Law team is composed of experienced birth injury lawyers and Registered Nurses. We investigate our clients’ claims with enough thoroughness to tell them early on whether a viable case of medical negligence exists. We are widely acknowledged throughout Ohio for our courtroom skills, having secured numerous multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts for victims of birth injuries.
Our Birth Injury Lawyers Are Here To Help
If you or your child was injured because of medical malpractice during childbirth you need a smart, empathetic legal team at your side to protect your rights. Let the team at Crandall & Pera Law be your family’s advocate. Please call 877-686-8879 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free initial consultation at one of our multiple office locations in Ohio. We have multiple Ohio law offices conveniently located in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Chesterland and Chagrin Falls.